2024 Water Funding Gap Report

Our analysis shows that globally, only 36% of appeals for water- and sanitation-related funding were met in 2023, leaving a 64% gap.

Unsafe water and sanitation contribute to the deaths of 1,000 children each day, with malnourished children under five years old particularly susceptible to waterborne diseases.

This tragedy could be prevented with the right financial resources. We’ve analysed humanitarian appeals made by 33 countries, finding that more than half of water-related funding needs are left unfulfilled.

This report examines trends in funding for water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programmes, which are key to preventing malnutrition and promoting good health.