Climate change increases the frequency and intensity of extreme weather. This impacts all areas in which Action Against Hunger works, from nutrition and food security and livelihoods, to health and water, sanitation and hygiene.
Many of our organisation’s underlying values, including respecting the environment, acting with integrity, and seeking innovative solutions, also recognise the importance of minimising our environmental impact.
In light of this, we’ve made a commitment to reduce our own impact on the environment.
This policy outlines this commitment and the steps we’ll take to mitigate our environmental impact, both globally and in the UK.
We’re committed to:
- complying with UK environmental legislation and regulations relevant to our organisation.
- reducing the amount of energy consumed by Action Against Hunger UK by promoting energy-efficient office practices, investing in energy-efficient products, and using and advocating for environmentally sustainable energy sources where possible.
- minimising waste, recycle materials whenever possible, and dispose of waste in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
- implementing a sustainable procurement policy, which will conserve resources through efficient use and planning.
- minimising the environmental impacts of staff travel, both in the UK and abroad.
- promoting environmental good practice and Action Against Hunger UK’s environmental policy to all partners, suppliers, donors, supporters and contractors.
- increasing staff and volunteers’ awareness, and providing support on the steps they should take to reduce their personal footprint and to adhere to Action Against Hunger’s environmental policy.
After an initial assessment of our environmental performance, we will set specific, measurable indicators and continue to monitor areas for improvement.
Action Against Hunger UK’s Green Group, made up of members of staff, will plan, guide and monitor implementation of the policy and the action plan. The Senior Management Team will then be responsible for ensuring the policy is implemented.