Action Against Hunger has been working in Jordan since 2013

Jordan

The ongoing influx of refugees, especially from Syria, is putting the Jordanian economy and its infrastructure under increased pressure.

Country Overview

The ongoing influx of refugees, especially from Syria, is putting the Jordanian economy and its infrastructure under increased pressure. The number of refugees is now estimated at more than 1.3 million, with 79 percent living in urban or rural communities and the remaining 21 percent in camps. 50,000 Syrians also remain stuck at the country’s northern border, in the hope of finding refuge in Jordan. The challenge is therefore to provide them with basic livelihoods, and to support host communities in their immediate needs. The Jordanian government has adopted the Jordanian Response Plan to respond to this crisis, offering a resilience based approach.

46,112
People helped in 2017

What we are doing

Action Against Hunger has been working in Jordan since 2013. We are providing a range of life-saving services for Syrian refugees and their host communities in Irbid, Azraq, Ruwaished. We are working with local authorities and partners to strengthen the resilience of the Syrian refugees and the vulnerable Jordanian host communities. 

Action Against Hunger is now recognised as the major player in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector but we are also contributing our expertise to mental health and child care practices. In addition, we have established "Cash for Work" and waste management programmes. Projects such as the waste management programme in Irbid, employs 1,200 refugees to collect and sort waste from the streets, empowering communities to provide for themselves. You can read more about this project on the Reuters website

As many are traumatised by what they have seen and experienced, our teams provide psychological support to the most vulnerable children and women. This, along with nutritional advice, also boosts mothers’ ability to nurture their children in this challenging new environment. To improve families’ living conditions, we are also providing food security and livelihood support.

Our programmes in Jordan include: 

  • Improving access to clean water and sanitation facilities
  • Psychosocial support groups
  • Cash for work programmes 
  • Nutritional education programmes
  • Screening and treating children for malnutrition 
Donate | Help people in Syria all around the world
Donate | Help people in Syria all around the world

Donate now

Help save lives in Jordan & around the world

Photo credits: ©Lys Arango for Action Against Hunger

Related reading

Facts

Population
9.4 Million