What we are doing
Action Against Hunger has been working in Burkina Faso since 2008 to improve access to food and to prevent and treat severe malnutrition.
In 2018 our teams continued to respond to the country's nutritional insecurity brought about by a poor harvest. We focused on reducing the consequences by strengthening health systems and campaigning for the inclusion of nutrition in development budgets and policies.
To prevent the population from becoming even weaker after a prolonged period of insecurity, our teams boosted income-generating activities, encouraged people to diversify their livelihoods, increased awareness of good healthcare practices and set up community-based programmes for access to drinking water and food.
Our programmes in Burkina Faso include:
- Improving access to jobs and livelihoods
- Improving access to clean water and sanitation
- Preparing for potential droughts and floods
- Screening and treating children with malnutrition
- Psychosocial support groups