An interview with Youssouf Cisse
What is your role within Action Against Hunger and what does it involve?
I am a Nutrition Assistant with ACF, based in Gao in eastern Chad. My role involves the following activities:
- The supervision of coordinators
- Monthly reporting
- Monitoring the quality and effectiveness of the treatment of malnourished children
- The evaluation of health structures
- Training and monitoring of teams in Referral Health Centres and Community Health Centres.
I have been working for ACF for 3 months.
Could you describe the nutritional context of the region of Mali in which you work? What causes the high rates of malnutrition?
The nutritional context is characterised by:
- A high rate of malnutrition
- Poor feeding practices (lack of knowledge about the nutritional value of local foods)
- Poverty (inadequate access to drinking water and medical care)
- Poor hygiene practices
What motivates you to go to work every day? What is your inspiration?
- The treatment of malnourished children
- Having a career in an international NGO
- Personally contributing to the reduction of malnutrition in my region
- Having the opportunity to save lives as a doctor
- The recognition by the communities in which I work of my efforts to combat malnutrition
Menu Pied de page