1. Rub salt and turmeric into the fish and set aside for a few minutes
2. Puree together yogurt, onion, red chilli, ginger and garlic. Mix well and add to fish
3. Then cover and leave to rest for a couple of hours
4. Now remove the pieces of fish from marinade and wipe off as much of the marinate as possible and set aside
5. Heat the ghee and mustard oil in a frying pan, when nearly smoking add all the spices. Fry until the cardamom have changed colour and the clove has swollen. Remember, do not over heat the oil and always crack the cardamom seeds before cooking as they can explode in hot oil.
6. Now return the oil to medium heat and fry the fish to seal. Do not let the pieces brown. Remove fish from pan and set aside
7. Sauté the onion until soft and pale
8. Now return the fish to the pan, add the yoghurt and fried spices and bring slowly to bubbling point. Season to taste.
9. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then turn off the heat. Let the fish cook in latent heat by covering the pan.
10. Remove and serve with plain steamed rice
|Love Food Give Food is supported by:|